Monday, October 24, 2011

Family Values

According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, a family is defined as "two or more persons, including the householder who are related by birth, marriage, or adoption, and who live together as one household."  Based on this definition, I don't think my household would be considered a family:  I live with my son and boyfriend.  Before my boyfriend moved in with my son and I about two years ago, however, my son and I would have been considered a "single female parent with children under 18" family (Newman 195). It certainly feels more like a family now, though. Anyway, even though we're not officially a family by the government's standards, we have family values. 

My son knows not saying "please" will have consequences just like my boyfriend and I know that saying certain four-letter words will have consequences. We value health and try to eat leafy greens each day.  We encourage my son to respect others and be accepting of differences.

Every family has values. They're often passed down from generation to generation.  When we think of family values we often think of ideas like "respect your elders" and "family comes first."  But can negative values like racism can be passed down, too? I think so.
 

According to ZenFamilyHabits.com, ten essential family values exist:  Belonging, flexability, respect, honesty, generosity, forgiveness, curiosity, communication, responsibility, and traditions.  The author acknowledges that values differ from family to family, but I really like this list.

Family values guide everyones' decisions to some extent. My family is practical, so my first degree was in x-ray because the job market in hospitals was stable and the degree would only take three years. My family values education; so when I couldn't find a job after technical college, I chose to return to school to get a bachellor's degree. 

I'm thankful for my family's values, as they have shaped me into who I am. I'm excited for my "non-family household" to instill positive values in my son that he will someday be thankful for.

http://www.zenfamilyhabits.net/2010/02/top-10-essential-family-values/
image: http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2008/07/08/my-kids-are-racist-and-yours-are-too.aspx
Newman, David. Sociology. Ed 8. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment