Monday, November 7, 2011

Competition (Assignment 9)

From our first day in school we're taught to compete with one another:  We're praised for getting the best grade and punished for getting the worst, and it never ends. In a 2011 article by Kit Richerts in The Apple, Dr. Marty Covington, who has studied the effects of competition in the classroom for over ten years, says he believes that competition hinders motivation, especially in classes where grading on a curve is happening. "Covington's fundamental belief is that the root of all academic motivation is for students to preserve and enhance a sense of self worth," says Richerts.  If students try and fail, they're likely to preserve their self worth by not trying next time (Richerts 2011).

"Throughout our school years we are taught to believe from society that grades dislay intelligence. Because of this, our motivation, learning, and personal growth are placed second to attaining the ultimate goal--the grade. . . . We are programmed to imitate what the teacher wants. If we don't we get a bad grade. . . . Imitation, competition and fear of grades hinders our discovery (Bell & McGrane 1999, printed in Newman's Sociology)

At a previous school, I was in an Ethics class.  My professor was extremely smart and graded on a curve, so I wanted more than anything to do well in his class.  He assigned weekly papers that were to cover some aspect of the topics discussed in class that week.  I always wrote about the points that he emphasized and often used his exact wording, which always got me 10 of 10 points. One time, though, I decided to write about a topic that he didn't emphasize as much.  I thought this would be a good chance for me to prove that I could do my own research and tie it into the topics he emphasized. I usually spent about an hour writing these papers, but this one took me at least two.  I did a ton of research and learned more than I ever had while writing these papers. The finished product was perfect. I was so proud to submit it in class.

When he started passing back the papers the following week, I was excited to see what he'd have to say about mine. When he handed it back to me though, he said "Um, you really missed the point on this one." I was crushed but excused my poor work by saying that I hadn't really understood the lecture (I had). "It showed..." he said. I received an 7/10 on the paper, the worst I'd ever had, and I never wrote a paper in his class like that again, as I wanted to be one of the 8 who received an A in the class.

As a result of this type of learning, I limit creativity and innovation to places where I know it's safe.  I worked at a law firm for about a year recently.  When the attorney gave me work, I did it the way I knew she would want it done.  Even if I had a better idea, I didn't employ it.  It's sad, but in a system where competition dominates, we have to please those in power or we'll be left behind.

Newman, David. Sociology. Ed 8. 2010.

Richerts, Kit. "Why Grading on the Curve Hurts." The Apple. 2011. http://theapple.monster.com/benefits/articles/5658-why-grading-on-the-curve-hurts

No comments:

Post a Comment