Tuesday, September 13, 2011

So Many Roles, So Little Time

When I read the "Statuses and Roles" section in Chapter Two of Newman's Sociology, Exploring the Architectrure of Everyday Life, I knew I could apply it to my own life.  Role strain and role conflict are all too real to me.

I'm experiencing a bit of role strain, which Newman describes like this:  "Sociologists use the term role strain to refer to situations in which people lack the neccessary resources to fulfill the demands of a particular role..." (Newman 25)  I'm a Biology major who seems to lack scientific abilities:  Chemistry makes me, literally, pull my hair out (my natural response to stress-- weird, I know).  I understand this may not be a perfect example, though, as natural science abilities are not necessarily a requirement for a Biology major:  Abilities can be learned. And to this idea I'll be clinging in my many, many, many hours of studying.

Returning to school has also brought about some role conflict, which is the situation that arises when one tries to adhere to conflicting roles, according to Newman (Newman 25).  Currently, my status as a student is clashing with my status as a mother and partner. Prior to returning to school, I worked a very flexible job with great hours, allowing me to spend a ton of time with my son and boyfriend.  Now that I have homework and classes, that's not the case.  My roles don't start at a specified time and end a specified number of hours later like I wish they did. I'm simply going to need to learn to manage my time more effectively. I'd love some advice if others are dealing with the same thing. The below image is perfect-- that's exactly how great I look when juggling forty things ;).


Newman, David M. Sociology, Exploring the Architecture of Everyday Life. Ed 8. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment